Planning & Development

Home > Planning & Development > Planning


Planning in the rapidly growing municipality of Brighton is vital. It ensures the orderly and sustainable development of housing, business and community services and infrastructure, and allows the community to provide input into land management and how the social identity of the municipality develops.

Brighton Council is responsible for statutory and strategic land use and development, including the assessment of applications for use and development under the Brighton Interim Planning Scheme 2015 (the ‘Scheme’).

Longer-term strategic planning for sustainable land-use within the municipality is guided by a range of strategic land use documents and implemented through zones (for example, residential, industrial, commercial, rural etc). The zone that applies to a particular area of land then defines and guides what use and development is possible on it.

A guide to the Tasmanian planning system can be found here.

Applications that are currently being advertised can be found here.

Download an Application for Planning Approval Form here.


Land use planning in the Brighton municipality is regulated by the Brighton Interim Planning Scheme 2015.

You may view planning scheme zoning and overlay maps for any property using the My planning enquiry tool.

Please contact Development Services on (03) 6268 7041 or if you have any queries.

If you want to undertake works on your property whether it is removing trees, putting up a shed, building a deck or an extension, you need to give us a call first to check what requirements, if any, exist. We will happily give you an overview of the relevant planning considerations and process.

You can download an Application for Planning Approval form HERE, noting the checklist of supporting documents required on page 3.

Changes to the planning and building requirements governing Airbnb and other short stay visitor accommodation are now a state-wide directive. Information can be found on the State Government’s Planning Reform website.

Please contact Development Services on (03) 6268 7041 or if you have any queries.

Click on the below link to see the latest fees & charge:

Fees & Charges