My Council

Home > Council > Council Elections

Council Elections

Council elections are held every four years the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Councillors are elected for four-year terms.

Elections are usually held in October of each election year. The next local government elections are due in October 2022.

The Tasmanian Electoral Commission is responsible for the supervision of local government elections. The Electoral Commission appoints returning officers to run the election.

With the resignation of Brighton Council Mayor Tony Foster on 30 June 2021, by-elections are required to fill the vacant positions of mayor and one councillor.

The term of office of the elected mayor and councillor will be until the completion of the next ordinary election (due to be held September/October 2022).

The Tasmanian Electoral Commission (TEC) has announced the results of the Brighton Council by-election. Thank you to everyone who voted and congratulations to Leigh Gray as new Mayor of Brighton and Aaron De La Torre as Brighton Councillor.

Final results and distribution of preferences can be found on the TEC website as follows: Brighton By-election Results

Media Release: New Brighton Mayor Elected – 25 August 2021


Council elections are conducted by postal ballot.

All elections for councillor positions are required to be conducted by using a multi-member proportional representation electoral system. This is directly modelled on the Hare-Clarke system used for Tasmanian House of Assembly elections.

A feature of the Hare-Clarke electoral system is that vacant seats are filled by recount rather than by elections.

Under the postal ballot system there is a polling period of at least fifteen days (excluding any Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday), rather than a single polling day.

If you are currently on the State Electoral Roll for State and Federal Elections for your address in the Brighton municipal area you are automatically on the Local Government Roll.

To check your enrolment on the Electoral Roll please visit the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website at and click on the “Check Enrolment” button. An enrolment form can also be obtained from that website or by calling the AEC on 132 326 or from any post office.

You are also eligible to enrol on the “General Manager’s Roll” if you: