Waste management is an area of core business for all councils. It encompasses all activities and services that revolve around collecting, disposing and reducing waste. In dealing with waste management, Brighton Council uses the most effective technologies and methods available while also striving to protect environmental and public health.
All Tasmanian councils run some form of garbage collection and recycling service and/or operate waste transfer stations and/or landfill sites.
Brighton Council is also a member of the Southern Waste Strategy Authority. This authority, involving 12 southern Tasmanian Councils, works to implement a Waste Management Strategy for Southern Tasmania. It runs a number of programs and educational activities focused on:
- Reduction of waste
- Recycling/reprocessing to recover resources
- Responsible waste disposal
Details of the Authority's Business Plan and Programs are available for viewing on the Southern Waste Strategy Authority website.
Brighton Council Waste Transfer Station
131 Cove Hill Road
Bridgewater TAS 7030
Fri - Mon from 8.30am to 4.30pm
Tues - Thurs - CLOSED
Christmas Day and Good Friday - CLOSED
Waste Transfer Station Charges
To view Brighton Council's Waste Transfer Station Charges for the current Financial Year, please visit our Forms Page.
Househould Waste and Recycling
Brighton Council offers fortnightly kerbside garbage and recycling bin collections.
This Garbage Collection Map shows collection areas.
Please ensure your bins are at the kerbside ready for collection by 6am on your day of service.
If you need a new or replacement garbage or recycle bin please contact Brighton Council Customer Service on (03) 6268 7000 between 8.15am and 4.45pm (Mon - Fri) or visit our Forms Page to download the Request for Issue of Waste Container Form.
Signed and completed forms may be returned to:
1 Tivoli Road
Old Beach TAS 7017
You may also return your forms by emailing them to email@example.com or by facsimilie to (03) 6268 7013.
Council offers a delivery service for new and replacement garbage and recycle bins every Wednesday.
Items That Can Be Collected
- Milk cartons (washed)
- Glass bottles (washed)
- Aluminium and Steel cans
- PET and HDPE plastic bottles
Recyclable products are only collected if placed in the Council marked recycling bin.
Items which cannot be collected
- Car batteries
- Engine oil
- Soiled paper (eg dirty nappies)
- Soiled cardboard items (eg pizza boxes)
- Plastic bags
If recycling is not collected because it does not comply with requirements, a sticker detailing reasons will be attached to your recycle bin. Please dispose of these items in your wheelie bin. However, car batteries, engine oil and paints can be recycled if taken to the Waste Transfer Station.
For more information on collection days, missed collections or replacing a recycle bin phone the Brighton Council Customer Service on (03) 6268 7000.
Waste Oil Collection Facility
Brighton Council operate a bunded oil recycling facility located at the Waste Transfer Station. The purpose of the bunded oil recycling facility is to:
- Encourage recycled oil collection at the Waste Transfer Station
- Increase the service provision to the general community of the type and nature of services to the waste management facility in general; and
- Add protection to the pristine environment including the Derwent and Jordan Rivers
Green and Hard Waste Collection
Brighton Council offers a FREE Green and Hard Waste collection service to help residents dispose of unwanted items* and green waste. This service is free for residents who currently receive a kerbside rubbish collection.
Green/Hard waste collections are done on the first Tuesday of June and December each year.
* Please note that vehicle tyres are no longer accepted as part of these collections.
How to get your Green/Hard Waste collected
- Waste must be placed on the nature strip the night before collection is due
- Items must be able to be lifted by two men
- All hard waste items must not exceed two metres in length
- All items such as tree branches and cuttings must be tied in 20kg or less bundles and a maximum of 1.5m in length and 20cm in diameter
- Loose materials must be bagged
- Items such as rubble, soil, rocks and concrete will not be collected
- HARD WASTE AND GREEN WASTE ARE TO BE KEPT SEPARATE
- Total volume of items must not exceed 2m3.
Please do not endanger Council Staff by leaving broken glass, asbestos and chemicals out for collection (these items will also not be collected).
Bookings are not required.
If you have waste to be collected please place the waste outside on your nature strip the night before the collection is due. For more information, please contact the Brighton Council Waste Management Department on (03) 6268 7000.
Remember, this service is only available to residents who currently receive kerbside collection.
1 Tivoli Road
Old Beach TAS 7017
Tel: (03) 6268 7000
Fax: (03) 6268 7013
Mon - Fri: 8.15am to 4.45pm