History of Brighton
History of Brighton
HISTORY OF BRIGHTON
The Brighton Council area is very rich historically with what we now know as Pontville being first penetrated by early Royal Marine patrols soon after the arrival of Governor David Collins at Sullivans Cove on February 21 1804.
In 1821, Governor Lachlan Macquarie visited the island. In the course of a tour of the country, he selected sites for five townships, one of which was Brighton, being so called in honour of the favourite place of residence of King George IV.
As early as 1822, 12 months after Macquarie's visit, Brighton was being spoken of as the future capital of Tasmania. Although considered again in 1824 and 1825 the proposal was dropped and in 1826 became a Military Post on the main Launceston to Hobart road.
The Council itself held its first meeting on November 19 1863. Some one 130 years later saw significant changes as a result of the number of councils in Tasmania being reduced from 46 to 29. This amalgamation of Councils saw the loss of 61 per cent of rural land comprised mainly of Broadmarsh, north of Pontville to Bagdad and parts of Tea Tree to the Southern Midlands Council.
The municipal area of Brighton Council altered significantly as a result of the modernisation process in 1993. Located approximately 25 kilometres north-east of Hobart, the municipality is bordered by the municipalities of Derwent Valley, Southern Midlands and the City of Clarence and is traversed by the Midland Highway, the major corridor linking the north and the south of Tasmania. This highway links with the East Derwent Highway which extends south towards Clarence or over the Bowen Bridge into the Cities of Glenorchy and Hobart.
The larger residential areas within the municipal boundaries are Brighton, Old Beach, Bridgewater, Gagebrook and the historic precinct of Pontville. Tea Tree remains the only predominantly rural area.
Prior to the early 1970s, Brighton was principally a rural municipality, but with the establishment of public housing estates in Bridgewater and Gagebrook together with private development and a building boom in the Old Beach and Brighton township areas in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the municipality is now considered to be a small urban Council.
In recent years, commercial development has taken place in Bridgewater and Brighton township and it is hoped this trend will continue.
Brighton Council continues to set new standards of achievement and innovation in local government in Tasmania and has demonstrated what can be achieved by the local community and Council working together harmoniously with the best interests of the municipality at heart.
1 Tivoli Road
Old Beach TAS 7017
Tel: (03) 6268 7000
Fax: (03) 6268 7013
Mon - Fri: 8.15am to 4.45pm